All fandom notes may contain spoilers. If you intend to read or watch any of them (and you totally should!), please be warned! I'm happy to copy a particular fandom into a separate post so you can read it without fear of accidentally seeing a spoiler for something else.
Hi my lovely Mystery Yuletide Writer!
First of all, I promise you that I am going to love my gift. I only ever request fandoms that I am deeply excited about, which means I am terribly easy to please because I am just so so delighted to be receiving fic for them. I hope that you also enjoy writing it, so while I have provided some details on the things that make me wiggle with joy, please do feel free to improvise if you have an excellent idea that you’re excited about writing and you think I will enjoy, even if I haven’t specifically asked for it. <3 However, I would prefer it if you didn’t include the things I’ve marked as DNWs.
In general, I prefer fics in third person and both past and present tense are fine. I don’t have any preferences for fic length - whatever you feel suits the story you want to tell. I am also very happy with the 5 things/5 times style of fic if you like doing that type of thing! I don’t mind a little bit of angsty heartpain in my fic, but as it is Yuletide I would like it to have a generally happy ending - whether outright happy resolution, bittersweet positivity, or just generally uplifting. Also please don’t feel obliged to include all the characters I’ve requested - it is fine to pick and choose as suits your ideas. But please don’t include non-canon ships outside of those I mention specifically under each fandom.
- found families and families in general; friends being 100% there for each other, guarding each other, backing each other up, even if there are also issues and tension (ESPECIALLY if there are issues and tension)
- stories which combine everyday and mundane themes with elements of the epic or extraordinary, and elements stolen from myths and fairytales
- paranormal creatures or themes; eerie, spooky, scary scenes or themes - I'm currently listening to the Black Tapes podcast and this really embodies the sort of half-skeptical/half-accepting/scary shit as half true story and half urban legend I'd love woven in
- pre-relationship, new relationship, established relationship, and flawed relationships which still work
- first kisses/makeouts that don’t immediately lead to sex (either by accident or by design)
- slice of life fics with pyjamas and domesticity, or snug scenes of cosy okayness in between high octane danger and misery (like being in bed in the middle of a storm)
- sleeping themes like napping, sharing a bed, comforting each other after nightmares, weird sleeping habits etc
- power dynamics between people - i have a big thing for loyalty kink, and for power shifts between people in a way that is positive for both
- growing trust and intimacy between people and learning to read them through the tiny everyday minutiae of their lives
- usually powerful characters being ill or injured and being tended by their friend/partner
- character-driven stories with a veneer of plot
- scenery porn (if you love describing things, feel free to give me long loving descriptions of the architecture and natural surroundings even if they are also unremarkable)
- people being very competent (and other people being into it); people thinking at great length about other people - their hands, their collarbones, their infuriating habits, how tall, how small, how incredibly frustrating.
I don’t like: fic focusing on major character death (during or after); angst without happy endings; dubcon; character bashing; humour fics; a/b/o; knotting; body piercing; misogynistic dirty talk; humiliation kink; characters described as “slutty” or “trash”; cheating on each other; descriptions of hipbones.
I love shipfic, gen and porn and I really do love all three equally, so it is whatever floats your boat! It can be as explicit, non-explicit, or as non-existent as you like. <3 If you do go the porn route, I like enthusiastic consent and I don’t like Character A rushing B before B is ready even when they are consensually going to have sex shortly. If you’re stuck and would like further inspiration, my trope meme results are here and (*ahem*) my kink meme results are over here.
I prefer not to receive crossovers, but I do really love fusion fic if that is also your jam! By which I mean, transplanting characters from Fandom 1 (my Yuletide fandom) into the setting/plot of Fandom 2. I should be familiar with and enjoy the second fandom - I’ve got a list of my fandoms here - and I would love to see any of my Yuletide fandoms fused with them. I’m happy with transplanting characters from Fandom 1 into just the setting of Fandom 2, or actively setting them up in roles in the plot of Fandom 2. Feel free to tweak those roles from their original factory setting too - e.g. If Napoleon Solo is in the Harry Potter role at Hogwarts, his arc doesn’t necessarily have to follow Harry’s. However, what I don’t want is Napoleon Solo going to Hogwarts and meeting Harry Potter.
I also have a special place in my heart for certain AUs, though I like them to interlace the core elements of the original canon. Some AUs I particularly like: university, vampires (either a world with vampires, or one or more characters being vampires), spies, supernatural beings; royalty; sports team ESPECIALLY ROWING CREWS @_@<3
On to the fandoms! I'm happy for other nominated characters to be included from tagsets where I've requested a specific set, as well as any core canon characters who weren't nominated.( The Demon's Lexicon )
( Jupiter Ascending )
( Man from U.N.C.L.E )
( The Raven Cycle )
( Scorpio Races )
( Sorcerer to the Crown )